Saturday, January 7, 2012

Welcome!

Welcome!  I'm so glad you have found my little blog.  It's called My Soul Counts because I think each person should have a quiet, comforting place they can turn to and refresh their soul.  Even just knowing that each person has a soul and that it needs to be nutured is a big step, so I'm happy you're here. 

What do I mean by nuturing your soul?  Well, I simply mean that you should take the time to breathe...to think about why you are here and how you can grow spiritually...and to then return to your tasks, to your duties, to your obligations with a greater sense of peace and serenity.  Relax, reflect, and refresh.

It's so important to tend to your soul!  It's the only one you have!   As C.S. Lewis noted "What can you ever really know of other people's souls - of their temptations, their opportunities, their struggles? One soul in the whole creation you do know: and it is the only one whose fate is placed in your hands.” 

Take care of that one soul you do know... your own.  Take a few minutes to pop on over here and I hope to give you a little something to think about, a small glimpse of tranquility in a frantic world, and maybe even a handy household hint or two...because I live in the real world, just like you!

Martha and Mary Moments
I think we all know about Martha and Mary in the bible.  In a nutshell, Jesus was over the sisters' house for dinner and Martha was busy cooking and cleaning while Mary listened at Jesus' feet as he preached.  When Martha complained to Jesus, he sympathized but said that maybe she was fussing too much about dinner and that she should probably listen, too. 

I know sometimes I feel just like Martha!  And the reality is, my kids and husband need to eat, and need to have clean laundry, and a clean house and...the list goes on and on.  So I try to have shortcuts on my "Martha List" so I have time to tend to my "Mary List" -- such as reading a book, attending a bible study, working in the garden.  Things on my Martha List help me make a nice home with a minimal amount of fussing...things on my Mary List help me nourish my soul.  So here's my quick list for today:

The Martha In Me
Make your home cozy in no time at all...buy a tart warmer.  Have you seen these?  You can get them online or even Walmart sells them now.  They're under $20. Simple plug it in, and place a tart in the top bowl.  A tart is basically just scented wax.  As it melts, the fragrance is released and it is wonderful. You can buy these online, or again, Walmart sells them -- I love the Better Homes and Garden one at Walmart called "Line Dried Linen."  So clean and fresh!  You will not believe how nice your house will smell and no smoke from candles!

I also love, love, love the site "Candles from the Keeping Room"  (http://www.candlesfromthekeepingroom.com).  My sisters told me about Carol's website and her tarts are just divine.  They smell lovely, her customer service is excellent and the price is very reasonable.

So do yourself a favor, check out a tart burner, and soon you will be plugging it in everyday like I do, happily smelling a new scent each morning -- it clears my mind and gives each day a new beginning.

The Mary in Me
So, new beginnings...and a new year!  Perfect segway! So, on a news show on January 1st, I saw a special for the New Year with three experts designed to give you a fresh start to the year.  The three experts were a Financier, a Nutritionist, and a Psychiatrist.  After I watched them give advice for a while, I realized no one was discussing the most precious, valuable part of a person...the soul.  So I decided to start this blog that stands up and says, "Hey!  People have souls, too and it's important to recognize that fact!" 

So, what can you do this year to nuture your soul?  Something simple...like "Do unto others" once a day?  Read a bible for five minutes?  How about introduce Grace at meals?  Let me know...I'd love to hear from you!

1 comment:

strawberrycream39 said...

Hi Karen! Welcome to "blogland!" I love your ideas, especially the Martha and Mary sections. I can't wait to see more! Congratulations on your new blog!