Monday, January 9, 2012

A Quiet Twinkle, but A Star Nonetheless

You do know what would have happened if it had been three wise WOMEN instead of three wise men, don't you?

They would have asked for directions, arrived on time, helped deliver the baby, cleaned the stable, made a casserole, and brought practical gifts.

So funny!  And a good way to remember that yesterday was "Little Christmas" or the Epiphany, where we traditionally celebrate the Wise Men appearing before the Christ Child and bringing gifts.  

Don't you wish you had a star to guide you daily like the Magi?  I know that as I run around trying to grocery shop, clean, and run errands, drive carpool and cook healthy,  satisfying meals, it seems as though my life is pretty much filled up.  Trying to squeeze in a contemplative moment or two constantly takes a seat on the back burner.  Is there really "no room at my inn"? 

And I look at people like the Magi, who seem so certain in their task, so steadfast in their committment to follow the star.  And I feel so small compared to them.

But then God throws me a little twinkling that I can't ignore.  A friend shared with me a prayer by Thomas Merton that I think everyday people in this busy, hectic world can relate to.  And after I read it, I thought, maybe just the discomfort in knowing that I could be doing more is actually okay.  Maybe that's what will keep nudging me, poking at me, guiding me ever so slowly, but ever so surely towards the Christ Child, too. 


1 comment:

Donna said...

Love your blog! I came over from Jen's :)
Hugs,
Donna